Today is my birthday. I’m celebrating 38 trips around the sun. In honor of that, I am sharing 38 ways to give to others.
I have earned every one of these 38 years of my life with battle scars, wounds, hard work and many privileges.
My life has been about facing my demons and learning to love myself along the way.
I’m so grateful for all of it!
Throughout these 38 years, with SO many others who have lifted up and supported me, I want to share some of the ways I have given back. In an effort to inspire both you and me to continue doing so.
The world needs us right now.
Will you join me? Here are 38 ideas to give.
- Help build homes for others (Habitat for Humanity)
- Volunteer at shelters or nursing homes
- Teach summer school or after school programs for children
- Give away free or discounted scholarships to your paid services
- Fix things for people
- Soup kitchen volunteer
- Buy coffee, food and water for the homeless
- Send supplies to hurricane victims (or any national disaster)
- Donate your time to cleaning up the environment
- Purchase a meal, groceries or cup of coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Plant trees
- Support your local farmers by buying their produce or volunteering at their stand or farm
- Volunteer at your community organization/church/synagogue/mosque
- Speak at Gilda’s Club to cancer survivors and thrivers
- Volunteer to help pull weeds, plant flowers or maintain a garden
- Donate clothing, furniture or other items to places in need (ie: women who have been abused and want to start over)
- Raise money for an athletic event you are participating in and donate it
- Teach English as a second language and health to children
- Tutor children
- Start a blog or continue to show up and share your unique knowledge on your current one.
- Donate your time to share your best gifts with groups who could use the support (motivational speaking, singing, translations, sewing, etc)
- Promote local businesses that you find value in
- Promote individuals, particularly minorities, doing great things in the community
- Random acts of kindness for strangers
- Random acts of kindness for friends and family
- Sponsor an event to impact a good cause
- Take part in a holiday food drive
- Offer to carry groceries for someone in need
- Purchase a backpack of supplies and distribute to the homeless, especially during cold months.
- Encourage your organization to volunteer
- Be a friend, listener and shoulder for those grieving or mourning
- March and Resist for minorities being impacted by oppressive groups or laws
- Use your creative talents and step up with your gifts so that others can be inspired and impacted by them
- Offer to help family, particularly those who are elderly and needing extra support
- Ask your local schools if they need help – children need our help more than ever before.
- Volunteer or serve in local or state government or run for a major office spot (I have not actually run for office, although it does cross my mind)
- Bring something thoughtful to your neighbor
- Donate your time or holiday presents to children at a local hospital
- Give money to causes I believe in (I want to continue to do A LOT more of this one into my 39th trip around the sun)